If you’re a college student, you know that semesters move pretty fast. You probably also know that there’s nothing like a nasty case of the flu to set you back – both in your classes and your social life. Illnesses like a cold, the flu, or strep throat can make it hard to find the energy to hit the dining hall for dinner, let alone study for that tough calculus exam. To make matters worse, college campuses can be breeding grounds for germs due to the crowded dorms and stuffy classrooms. Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take if you’re wondering how to stay healthy in college.
How to Stay Healthy in College
Tackle Dorm Room Germs
Dorm life can be a lot of fun, with roommates who feel like siblings and endless opportunities to meet new friends outside of class. However, dorms can also be breeding grounds for nasty germs. Think of a dorm room as a petri dish, with less-than-spotless surfaces and multiple roommates living in close contact with one another. There are a few things you can do to stay healthy in your dorm room:
- Declutter. Reduce the amount of clutter in your dorm room as much as possible, and divide up cleaning duties to make sure everyone pitches in. The greater the amount of clutter clogging up your space, the greater the likelihood that germs are lurking unnoticed.
- Create a cleaning schedule. We know how easy it is to let your cleaning duties slide when you’re balancing classes, homework, extracurricular activities, friends, dating, work, and more. Before you know it, a month’s gone by and you haven’t picked up a cleaning product once! To ensure you fit regular cleanings into your routine, create a cleaning schedule that shows when you need to clean out your mini fridge and microwave, vacuum your floor, wash your sheets, etc.
- Follow the two-minute rule. What’s the two-minute rule? If you can do it in two minutes or less, do it now! Many basic cleaning tasks fall under this rule (including washing dishes, disinfecting countertops, making your bed, etc.), so if you follow it, you’ll prevent these tasks from piling up and feeling like a burden.
- Kill germs before they can make you sick. Bring in serious germ-killing tools like the SafeSpace® Disinfectant & Deodorizing Germ Fogger. This germ fogger contains a hospital-grade disinfectant that, when fully discharged, generates 6,000 cubic feet of disinfectant and deodorizing fog. The germ fogger is particularly helpful in small spaces like dorm rooms, killing 99 percent of the germs responsible for illnesses like colds, the flu, staph, and MRSA. It’s also effective in wiping out food odors and preventing the growth of mold.
Prevention, Prevention, Prevention
Although it’s easy to skimp on healthy habits during your college years, it’s crucial to keep those habits up, especially during cold and flu season. Thoroughly washing your hands is one of the most important things you can do. Wash your hands regularly with warm water and soap, and use a hand sanitizer when you can’t get to a sink. Getting the flu vaccine is also vital, as it reduces your risk of catching the flu by up to 60 percent. Your campus health center may even offer the vaccine for free!
Stock Up on the Essentials
If you do get sick, stock up on over-the-counter medications that you can take to help you feel better faster. Swing by a drugstore and grab throat lozenges, pain relievers for aches and fevers, and an over-the-counter decongestant. You should also familiarize yourself with the location and hours of your campus health center.
How Parents Can Help
Are you a parent worried that your college student might not be equipped for cold and flu season? A care package might help. Send your child a SafeSpace® Germ Fighter Kit full of disinfecting and deodorizing products to help them survive cold and flu season unscathed. Germ Fighter Kits are available in small and large sizes, and the smaller size includes everything your college student needs to fight germs:
- Three Germ Foggers
- One Auto Disinfecting & Deodorizing Mist
- Two Alcohol-Free Instant Hand Sanitizers
- One Hand Sanitizer Refill
And to help your child make it through an illness faster and more comfortably, you could add some over-the-counter medications and helpful products to your care package, such as the following:
- Cough drops
- Ibuprofen, Advil, and/or Tylenol
- A decongestant
- Vitamin C
- Cans of chicken noodle soup
- A warm blanket
Figuring out how to stay healthy in college can have a steep learning curve for a lot of college students. However, with a few smart practices and tools, they’ll be acing cold and flu season.
Need to gear up before cold and flu season hits? Turn to SafeSpace. The SafeSpace Company is a family-owned small business proudly selling American-made germ foggers, auto disinfecting and deodorizing mists, and alcohol-free hand sanitizers to keep your family safe and healthy. To avoid germs this flu season, stock up on disinfectant essentials with the SafeSpace Germ Fighter Kit. You’ll get everything you need to keep yourself and your family healthy: hand sanitizers, disinfecting and deodorizing mists, and disinfectant foggers. For more information about SafeSpace, contact us online or call us toll-free at 1-800-735-2506.
Copyright SafeSpace Company 2019