If you’ve made a habit of going to the gym, chances are you value your health. That’s why it can be extremely frustrating when you catch a bug from exercise equipment that hasn’t been cleaned properly. Viruses can be airborne, or they can be transported through bodily fluids, including sweat. So the next time you touch that damp dip bar, think twice and reach for the disinfectant. Whether you own a gym, work at a gym, or visit the gym, use the tips below to learn how to disinfect a weight room.
How to Disinfect a Weight Room
Tips for Employees
As a gym employee, you play an important role in keeping gym patrons healthy. This responsibility shouldn’t be taken lightly because the more that germs are transferred at the gym, the further they can spread throughout the community at large. Gym employees should complete the following tasks to keep the weight room clean:
- Disinfect commonly touched surfaces in the weight room. In addition to cleaning exercise equipment, remember to disinfect water fountains, TV remotes, lockers, doorknobs, etc. Some items can be difficult to wipe down, instead try the SafeSpace Disinfecting and Deodorizing Mist. This product contains an ultra-fine mist that does not require any wiping and dries quickly leaving no residue. It can also be used on electronics.
- Read your disinfectant’s label carefully. While it can be human nature to throw away manuals and ignore product instructions, it’s important to understand the product you’re using. Carefully follow the instructions, and take the precautions described.
- Provide hand sanitizer. Not everyone comes prepared to the gym, so keep some hand sanitizer in plain sight in several convenient spots such as the front desk and in the locker rooms. Check the bottles frequently and refill them when needed. Be sure to select a hand sanitizer so that it doesn’t dry out your patron’s hands. Not only is cracked, peeling skin uncomfortable, but it can also increase your risk for infection by providing points of entry for germs and bacteria. Products like the SafeSpace Instant Hand Sanitizer contain emollients that moisturize your hands as well as disinfect leaving your skin smelling fresh and clean.
- Top it off with a disinfectant mist. For an added layer of protection, clean the weight room with the SafeSpace Disinfecting and Deodorizing Mist once a week as the final step to your normal cleaning routine. During cold and flu season and in between normal cleanings, consider using the D&D Mist two to three times a week. This product can kill 99 percent of the germs responsible for Covid-19, colds, flu, staph, MRSA and many other viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Since the D&D Mist requires no wiping and dries quickly it can be used on high traffic surfaces and areas often.
Tips for Weight Lifters
As a weight lifter, you can’t rely on the gym staff to keep the machines and equipment clean every minute of the day. It’s important that you also understand how to disinfect a weight room. To protect yourself from germs, take the following precautions:
- Follow the gym’s rules. All gyms have rules for patrons to prevent the spread of germs. Check your gym’s rules to be sure you’re abiding by their guidelines.
- Wipe down all machines and equipment after use. This ensures that the next person using the machine or equipment doesn’t have to touch your perspiration. Clean all areas of the machine and equipment that touch your body.
- Carry your own wipes. Most gyms provide disinfectant sprays, towels, and/or wipes so that patrons can clean the equipment after every use. If you don’t trust that the provided products are clean and sanitary, however, take away the guesswork by bringing your own wipes.
- Wash your hands before and after working out. Every time you work out, you need to wash your hands properly. Use soap, lather up, and rub your hands for at least 20 seconds before rinsing off the soap.
- Use hand sanitizer. This is important for extra protection or if you are unable to wash your hands. Use an hand sanitizer so that your hands don’t dry out and welcome in germs and bacteria. The Safespace Instant Hand Sanitizer contains emollients that leave your hands moisturized and disinfected.
- Don’t go to the gym if you are sick. Your body needs rest to recover, and you can infect others in the weight room. Stay home until you are well and no longer contagious.
Now that you know how to disinfect a weight room, would you like to add the disinfecting power of SafeSpace products to your cleaning arsenal? Check out our online store today to discover more about our products and place your order. Unsure of which product is right for you? By purchasing the SafeSpace Germ Fighter Kit, you can try out a variety of our products.
Copyright SafeSpace Company 2018